The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has released preliminary results for both school and private candidates in the 2022 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
For bringing foreign materials into the examination hall or colluding with other candidates, the subject results of 416 school candidates and three private candidates were cancelled.
Aside from that, the results of 73 school candidates and two private candidates were cancelled for bringing mobile phones into the examination hall.
38 school candidates’ subject scores have been withheld pending the results of investigations into numerous allegations of alleged examination fraud.
Additionally, the complete results of 11 school applicants have been withheld while investigations into numerous alleged incidences of examination fraud are ongoing.
This information was disclosed in a press release dated January 25, 2023, that WAEC’s Head of Legal, Rev. Victor Brew, issued and signed on Wednesday evening on behalf of the Head of National Office.
According to WAEC, both school and private applicants took the identical examinations last year.
According to WAEC, it will send the school candidates’ test results to the appropriate schools via the Metropolitan/Municipal/District Directors of Education.
The Council’s website, waecgh.org , allows users to evaluate the performance of Private Candidates.
Additionally, it said that school hopefuls could view their results online at the Council’s website.
The total number of candidates who entered for the school examination was 552,288. There were 276,999 male and 275,289 female candidates.
There are also 427 candidates with hearing impairment, 65 candidates with visual impairment, and 54 candidates who require additional test accommodations.
4,309 individuals out of the total applicants who registered for the test were not present.
The BECE for Private Candidates recorded a total entry figure of 1,144 candidates.
This was made up of 641 males and 503 females. Out of the total number of candidates who entered for the examination, 84 candidates were absent.
The 33rd Meeting of the Final Awards and Examiners’ Appointment Committee for the BECE, 2022, convened on January 24, 2023, accepted the following after investigations into some of the incidences of examination misconduct discovered during the conduct of the examinations were finished:
- Cancellation of the Subject Results of 416 school candidates and 3 private candidates for the offence of either bringing foreign materials into the examination hall or colluding with other candidates;
- Withholding of Subject Results of 38 school candidates pending conclusion of investigations into various cases of alleged examination malpractice;
- Cancellation of the Entire Results of 73 school candidates and 2 private candidates for the offence of bringing mobile phones into the examination hall;
- Withholding of the Entire Results of 11 school candidates pending conclusion of investigations into various cases of alleged examination malpractice.
Meanwhile, the scripts of candidates from 40 schools in certain subjects are undergoing scrutiny, WAEC added.
The withheld results of candidates may be cancelled or released based on the outcome of investigations, WAEC said.
The Council is cautioning all stakeholders to be wary of fraudsters who promise to upgrade results for a fee. Candidates are to note that WAECresults are secured and can be authenticated.
The Council wishes to express its sincerest gratitude to all stakeholders especially the Ministry of Education, Ghana Education Service, the Security Agencies, Supervisors, Invigilators, Examiners and all who in various ways supported it in the successful conduct of the examinations and release of results.